Nothing . . . I Got Nothing

I'm so used to spending most of my 'free time' writing, but it's the stuff I've been so used to writing that has almost ruined this kind of self-expression. Stuff like:

  • Fragment/run-on/comma splice
  • This sentence doesn't logically follow.
  • What?
  • I have no idea what you just wrote.
  • Are you kidding?
  • Did you read the same book that I read?!

Okay, so I'm only kidding on the last few. I didn't actually write those comments - I thought them, even said a few out loud.

I've come to realize that creating handouts and grading essays has predominantly been my writing outlet. Occasionally, I have written with my students - whatever assignment/prompt they were given, I sat down at my desk and wrote along side them. When I'd read over what I'd written, I noticed that I began every piece of writing the same way - with a participial phrase. After a while, I noticed other patterns - the occasional fragment, heavy alliteration, the dash, compound nouns and adjectives - which gave way to discovering quite a bit about my writing style.

I know, I'm a nerd. I fully embrace my nerdiness and welcome all the brain wrinkles created by these nerdy thoughts.

One day this summer, I'm going to clean/organize my jump drives and file folders on my computer condensing, purging, deleting (yes, permanently erasing documents that took hours/days of my life to create). I don't need to waste any more time creating handouts - I've got thousands as it is. I can't remember when it all began, but it ends now - this is the summer to declare freedom from that which stifles, constricts, strangles.

Change can only truly come from within . . .

    1 comments:

  1. This is my FAV comment to leave on research papers..."You are DANGEROUSLY low on citations!" Scares the shit out of them. Brings me joy.